Whether you call it Business Performance Management, Business Intelligence, or Decision Support Systems, you need critical information about the current state of your business. Ideally, you've identified Key Performance Indicators in every area of operations, for which you've set targets and then evaluate actual performance against the targets.
Use SMART targets
- i.e. Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time-bound
- Sufficient detail for flexible and multi-level analysis
- Exception reporting to highlight anomalies
- Drill down from higher levels to detail levels
- Integrate diverse sources of data